2nd Floor - The Master Bedroom

The Master bedroom is actually two rooms combined. The Victorians frequently built the nursery adjacent to the master bedroom. These two room were originally separated by pocket doors.  The doctor who lived here from 1900 to 1930s used the nursery as his study. During an early house remodel, the old kitchen cabinets were bought upstairs and made into a built in.



After
Previous Owners
Before        and        After

Before          and          After

The Furniture

I was tired of the medium oak and wanted the furniture a darker color. I used Minwax PolyShades Espresso. I refinished a dresser, chest of drawers, two end tables, a TV stand a magazine cabinet and two chairs.


I stripped all the paint off the hardware and spray painted them with Rust-oleum American Accents Metallic Spray in Classic Bronze.












To change the two occasional chairs from pink to gray I used "Spray It New" in charcoal gray. The Web site said to buy more than you think you may need. I bought 3 cans for each chair. I just had enough. I would probably been happier if I had one more can. My chairs had a nap and if turned upside down you can see a little of the pink in a couple of places. But upright they are fine.



Chairs with the upholstery painted. Then I painted the wood with the Minwax Espresso PolyShades.


The Built-ins

The Built-ins were white and filled with old wallpaper, shelf paper and stick down tiles.  They had at least 7 different layers of color paint; off white in the 1900s, peacock blue in the 20s, red in the 30s, jadite green in the 40s, dusty rose in the 50s, back to white and then we had painted them black.

 Pulling out the old paper inside.
















This after I stripped them and cleaned all the hardware. I painted them with a satin finish black oil paint.







I was going to order a piece of wood veneer to glue over the gray formica top. This formica is attached to the original wood counter top that had a cut out for a sink.

I decided to try putting a faux wood finish on the gray formica. If it didn't work I could still glue down veneer.

I used Minwax PolyShades Bombay Mahogany. It took two coats.  This counter does not get a lot of use. If it did, it would need a couple of clear coats of poly to keep it from scratching.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome job you did! I love the change.

    Any tips on using the Polyshades Espresso? Im do I nf chair legs right now, and its gard to do vertical surfaces with the stuff.

    ReplyDelete