Getting Back the Victorian Charm

This was the house in 1900. There were routed poles on the porches supporting the balconies that the three arched doors upstairs opened onto. The steep roof had crests.

In 1900





























In 1985
In 2013

In 2015











2015- Added Wood Screen Doors and Flipped the Paint Colors on the Bay Window

Removing the Craftsman Look

Before we started redoing the porch, Mike cut down the 25 feet of hedge that ran across the front yard. We wanted a picket fence to run around both sides of the house.














We replaced the columns first.


Then we started working on the spandrels and corbels.

With the woodwork finished on the posts, we tore out the old sidewalk so we could put in a wider walkway and new steps.  The same time the forms were made for the new sidewalk, we dug the holes for the fence posts.






concrete day

Painting the 230 pickets - 4 times each, both sides.



We replaced the old stairs with boards that never require paint and added a new handrail.





Making cement caps for the fence





Downstairs Bathroom

All of the bathrooms in this house were added 30 years after the house was built. The two bathrooms downstairs were built by enclosing existing outside porches. The upstairs bathroom converted a linen closet and stole some space from a bedroom.

When we bought the house
This bathroom had a clawfoot tub which was removed in the 1960s modernization. A low profile tub replaced it. 



We gutted the room and replaced all of the old cast iron pipes and what was left of the old wiring. The window was replaced with a larger one.




We added a tin ceiling and new lights.




The part the guys liked the best was moving the 300 pound cast iron tub around the house, up the stairs, turning it on it's side and fitting it through the door.  I don't think they really appreciated me telling them, "See I knew it would fit."








This is the finished bathroom.













The Front Parlor


This is the Front Parlor. When we moved in I made it into a dining room. For three years we kept it that way.  But I have recently changed it back to a parlor and moved the dining room table.

Now

Now


When we moved in, lavender walls, white carpet and a fan light.


All of the rooms were painted Easter egg colors, lavender, pink, sunny yellow and aqua.




We painted the dining room a soft Laurel green. And began filling all the nail holes and sanding the trim.

After the wood was fixed, we painted it with High Gloss door and trim paint.
This door had a lot of scars and dents, plus there were some holes where old locks had been. I filled the holes and deep scratches with the two part epoxy patch mix.  All of the transoms in the house still had their original wavy clear glass panes, except one.

We had the carpet pulled up and new oak floors put in.

After the floors were sanded




Stained with Minwax "Gunstock" and two coats of poly

We replaced the fan light with a light that matches one in the living room.

My hutch looked like it had shrunk in this tall room. 

I built a shelf to separate the two pieces. Mike cut a new decorative top piece for it.
I found the spindles at a salvage store.
Then I darkened the wood with Minwax polyshades.




The Office

From 1901 to 1926 this room served as a home doctor's office.  The doctor and a nurse lived here with their children. The next owners used this room as their master bedroom. It stayed that way until 20 years ago when those owners returned to using the upstairs master bedroom and this became a music room. There is no record on how it was used from 1885 to 1901. My information comes from my 96 year old neighbor, she has lived next door since 1932.








When we moved in, the room was pink and had white carpet.




Assembling the furniture.















I set the computers up, 
then took them down to paint. 
Set them back up, 
then took them down to 
put in the hardwood floors.
I set them up on a card table
so we could work. Then took them down again to set them up, in the office. 

That was fun.







 New hardwood floors and repainted walls.
 Rugs to protect the floors
 The 8'x8' bookshelf in the maid's room


My Brother volunteered to help 
us on the house. First we had him
haul 60 lb pavers around one of the
trees, a lot of them. Then when he
was foolish enough to ask if there
was anything else, I said "Oh yeah,
you could help reassemble the 
bookcase." The wood has petrified and 
getting it back together and on the
wall bent more than one screwdriver.